Wentworth Miller: I Attempted Suicide as a Teenager

Wentworth Miller: I Attempted Suicide as a Teenager

Speaking at the Human Rights Campaign Dinner in Seattle last night, Wentworth Miller made a startling and upsetting admission:

He tried to kill himself as a teenager.

The former Prison Break star, who came out of the closet last month in a letter blasting Russia for its anti-gay legislation, told attendees that things such as "speaking the right way, standing the right way [and] holding your wrist the right way" were challenges for him growing up, as he attempted to his his sexuality.

"Every day was a test and there were a thousand ways to fail," Miller said. "A thousand ways to betray yourself. To not live up to someone else's standard of what was acceptable, what was normal. And when you failed the test, which was guaranteed, there was a price to pay. ... Like many of you, I paid that price."

The star then shared the most personal of experiences with those at the event:

"The first time that I tried to kill myself, I was 15. I waited until my family went away for the weekend and I was alone in the house and I swallowed a bottle of pills. ... When someone asked me if that was a cry for help, I said no, because I told no one. You only cry for help if there's help to cry for. I wanted out."

Visit TMZ now for Miller's full speech and join us in giving thanks that his suicide attempts were unsuccessful.

The Hollywood Gossip
Home - About - Order - Testimonial
Copyright © 2010 NEWS CELEBRITY All Rights Reserved.